Main menu

Non-local Applicants

General Entrance Requirements
Applicants must fulfill the following requirements for admission:

1. A Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university or equivalent; AND

2. Documentary evidence demonstrating the applicant’s English proficiency, which may include:

  • Graduated from an institution where the medium of instruction is English; OR
  • A minimum of 550 (paper-based) and 79 (internet-based) in TOEFL; OR
  • A minimum of 6.5 in IELTS; OR
  • A minimum of 430 in College English Test-Band 6 (CET-6); OR
  • Equivalent of the above

Visa Application
According to regulations stipulated by the Immigration Department, non-local students who do not have the right of abode / right to land in Hong Kong are required to apply for a valid HKSAR student visa / entry permit through their Hong Kong institutions, which will take up the sponsorship for their studies in Hong Kong.  HSUHK will assist those admitted students in applying for student visas / entry permits.

Non-local students who are unable to present a valid visa at the time of registration will not be allowed to register.

Cost of Living
The cost of living in Hong Kong is generally high. The estimated basic cost of living for a single student is around HK$10,000 to HK$15,000 per month to cover food, lodging and general living expenses, depending on the type of accommodation selected and level of living and personal expenses. The above estimate does not include the tuition fee which may vary by programme depending on the credit load to be taken.

On-campus Accommodation
The University offers on-campus accommodation at Old Hall for non-local taught postgraduate students. Due to the limited residence places, there is no guarantee that all students will be granted a residence place during their studies.

Details on the Old Hall and the application form could be found at here.

Personal Accident and Medical Insurance/Travel Insurance
It is mandatory for all non-local students to have suitable and adequate insurance which should include but not limited to travel, personal accident, medical expenses (accident and non-accident), hospitalization and emergency evacuation/repatriation throughout the entire period of their studies in Hong Kong.